In other articles, we have discussed the different roulette strategies: Martingale, James Bond, Fibonacci, or Paroli. In this article, we will focus and analyze the differences between European roulette vs. American roulette.
Before delving into the rules and tricks to beat roulette, it is necessary to know the characteristics of each type of roulette. There are two basic types of roulette: European and American.
- European- The origin of the European roulette is unknown. The first information dates from the 17th century in France. However, some research considers that it was in Italy where this game was invented.
- American- American roulette is a very similar version to the European one. In American casinos, they decided to make a few modifications and create their own roulette with a more personal style.
- French – It is a very similar version to European roulette. It differs above all in the composition of the table.
The double 0 is, without a doubt, what makes the difference between the two types of roulette. How important is the number of more? Yes, playing with a double 0 gives the house a superior advantage over the player. The advantage in European roulette is not very high, and it is 1/37 = 2.7%. However, in American roulette, this advantage over the player is much higher, being 2/38 = 5.26%. What does it mean? Whenever you can, it is obvious to play American roulette, since the probability of losing is higher than if you play European roulette.
The Prison Rule in European roulette also allows the player to have a certain advantage. We will explain it with an example so that it is better understood. The players have a bet, and the ball falls into the 0 square. The players will lose the multiple bets they have made; however, the same does not happen with the single bets. These simple bets are blocked, or are the same, are held in prison. In the event that in the next round the ball lands on one of these simple bets, the money is released or recovered. That is, the player will not lose the money from the bet, but neither will he win anything. In some European casinos, instead of recovering the entire bet, only half is recovered. And in the case of American casinos, the entire bet is lost directly.
Five Number Bet
American roulette also has its own rule, and it is none other than the Five First Bet ( Five Number Bet ). The numbers referred to in this rule are 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. In the event that the ball falls into one of said numbers, the player wins 5 to 1.
The American game table has smaller dimensions than the European one. The mat and roulette are smaller, and there is usually only one dealer. On the other hand, in the European one, up to four dealers are allowed, although the normal is two. In American roulette, players can place their chips on the mat without the help of the dealer. The dealer is in charge of marking the winning number with a Dolly. On the other hand, in the European, it is forbidden for players to place the chips, the dealer will always be in charge and collect the chips with a rake.
Learn how to play roulette in style
If you want to play roulette, you are in the right place. Learn how to play roulette in style to one of the most demanded games by players. Some points are obvious, but not because of this; we will stop naming them.
- To win at roulette, you need to bet and guess where the ball will stop. It is the most basic, logical, and complex concept at the same time.
- Banking always starts with an advantage. In European roulette, the advantage is 2.7%, and in American roulette, it rises to 5.26%
- Roulette can be played in person or online. At the classroom level, the dealer is in charge of moderating the game. If played online, you will be a live dealer.
- The player decides where to place his bet using chips. Roulette chips can be placed on any of the numbers, insert lines, squares on the game table.
- Each tile has a certain value. A different color is used for each value.
- You can also bet based on the color segment, either black or red, even or odd, and low or high numbers.
- The player only plays against the bench, not against the other players at the table.
- At the moment, the dealer says, “no more bets are allowed,” no bet can be modified, changed, or removed from the table.
- The roulette and the ball rotate in opposite directions.
- The ball comes to rest on a number, and the dealer places a flag on the winning number.
- The dealer is in charge of collecting the chips that have lost the bet and paying the players with winning bets. In the case that it is played online, it is done automatically.
There are two types of bets in roulette:
- Internal bet: the chip is placed on a numbered area of the segmented matrix. Any bet on lines or intersections is included.
- External bet: the bet is placed on the boxes outside the numbered matrix. The red/black and even / odd boxes are also valid.
Six curiosities about roulette
- The name roulette comes from the French word “roulette,” which means a small wheel and is related to the medieval wheel of fortune. The goddess of fortune was engraved on the casino chips.
- In the book, La Roulette, ou le Jour de Jaques Labelle (1796), a roulette wheel is first described spinning at the Palais Royal in Paris.
- Formerly the ball used in roulette was made of ivory. The use of such material is currently prohibited, and plastic, Teflon or Delrin are used.
- You may have heard that roulette is also known as “The Devil’s Game.” You know why? Because if you add all the numbers, the result is none other than 666.
- The first roulette consisted of two 0s, as is currently played in American roulette. However, to attract more players, it was decided to make a variation and remove a 0 (European roulette). Thus, the player has a better chance of winning.
- In the American version, the profit marker is known as “Dolly.”